Nazareth Economic Development Commission (NEDC)
The Nazareth Economic Development Commission is a duly authorized 501c3 commission under the auspices of the Nazareth Borough Council, chartered to operate independently to bring about economic revitalization into the Nazareth Downtown Business District.
Our mission is to advance the prosperity of Nazareth Borough through the talents and strengths of the commission members by working together for the betterment and economic growth of the community. It will strive to assure a favorable business community climate for implementing new ideas and economic growth.
The Main Street Four-Point Approach
NEDC follows the Main Street Four-Point Approach. If you would like to serve on one of these four committees, please contact the downtown manager
Economic Vitality - Strengthen Business
Economic Vitality strengthens a community’s existing economic assets while diversifying its economic base. By helping existing businesses expand and recruiting new ones to respond to today’s market, Main Street programs help convert unused or underutilized space into economically productive property and sharpen the competitiveness and profitability of businesses.
* Learning about the district’s current economic condition and identifying opportunities for growth
* Strengthening existing businesses and recruiting new ones
* Finding new economic uses for traditional Main Street buildings
* Developing financial incentives and capital for building rehabilitations and business development
* Monitoring the economic performance of the district
Promotion - Rekindle Community Pride
Promotion means selling the image and promise of Main Street to all prospects. By marketing the district’s unique characteristics to shoppers, investors, new businesses, and visitors, an effective promotion strategy forges a positive image through advertising, retail promotional activity, special events, and marketing campaigns carried out by local volunteers. It serves to improve consumer and investor confidence in the district.
* Creating image campaigns, retail promotions, and special events — to lure people downtown
* Marketing an enticing image, social media campaigns, street festivals, parades and special events
Design - Create an Inviting Environment
Design getting Main Street into top physical shape. Capitalizing on its best assets—such as historic buildings and traditional pedestrian-oriented layouts is just part of the story. An inviting atmosphere, created through window displays, parking areas, building improvements, street furniture, signs, sidewalks, street lights, and landscaping, conveys a visual message about what the commercial district is and what it has to offer.
* Educating others about good design — enhancing the image of each business as well as that of the district
* Providing good design advice— encouraging quality improvements to private properties and public spaces
* Planning Main Street’s development— guiding future growth and shaping regulations
* Motivating others to make changes— creating incentives and targeting key projects
Organization - Build Partnerships
Organization means getting everyone working toward the same goal. Using a volunteer-driven program with an organizational structure of a governing board and committees can ease the tough work of building consensus and cooperation among the groups that have an important stake in the district.
* Raising money — for projects and administration, from donations and sponsorships
* Managing staff and volunteers — by recruiting people, supervising them, and rewarding good work
* Promoting the program — to downtown interests and the public
* Managing finances — by developing good accounting procedures
This map shows the designated downtown district and where we concentrate our efforts.
NEDC partners and businesses located in highlighted properties are included in our new downtown map.