Nazareth and Nazareth Farmers Market History
by Moravian Historical Society
Home to the Moravian Historical Society and the Martin Guitar Company, Nazareth was founded in 1740 by Moravian immigrants. In 1740, Moravians made their first permanent settlement in America in Nazareth, Pennsylvania on the property now maintained by the Moravian Historical Society.
As the community expanded to the west of the Whitefield House, Moravians laid out the circle, or center square, in 1771 as part of what was called "New Nazareth." The area around Center Square was planned with Main Street running north-south and Center Street east-west.
In 1791 an open structure called the “Market Building” was built to house the town's fire engine called the "Good Intend," and a water tank. Vendors set up stalls in and around the building on designated days. The building was razed in 1857.
2010 - The Nazareth Farmers Market was re-established in Center Square with seven vendors in attendance on Saturday mornings from 9 am to 1 pm.
2018 - The market had fourteen vendors. A new Community Booth was created for local non-profits. Events included; Grand Opening, Pumpkins & Pooches, Fall Festival, Small Business Saturday, FM Christmas in Nazareth.
2019 - The market had twenty full time and five part time vendors. A new website was created and a customer rewards card was introduced. Events included; Grand Opening, Small Business Saturday, FM Christmas in Nazareth, Farm & Flea Market held on the second Saturday of each month, and Nazareth Hayhenge.
2020 - The year of the global pandemic, the market opened with sixteen of its' vendors onsite. There was no; fanfare, live music, activities, customer seating, rewards card or information tent.
2021 - The season will begin with some of 2020's restrictions. With a little luck, we will resume our regularly scheduled market fun.